- List the major characteristics of the "New" Imperialism of the
late 19c. How was it different from the "Old" Imperialism of
- Why did the Europeans decide to colonize most of Africa and
South/Southeast Asia by the end of the 19c?
- What cultural and intellectual theories were used to justify
- What arguments did Rudyard Kipling present to justify European
expansion in Africa and Asia? How does the selection by Edward
Morel [pg. 871] undermine those arguments?
- What caused the "Scramble for Africa?"
- How did the Berlin Conference of 1885 lay down certain rules of
the game for expansion in Africa?
- How did King Leopold of Belgium rule the Belgian Congo?
- How did the partition of Africa affect relations among the
European powers by the end of the 19c - early 20c?
- Describe British colonial culture. How was it different from
the French model of imperial administration? from the Dutch?
from the Belgians?
- textbook --> pp. 873 - 878.
- How did the Dutch create and maintain their empire in the East
Indies? What resistance developed?
- How did British rule in India change after the events of 1857?
- What was the economy of India like under British rule?
- Identify the major internal developments taking place in China in
the early 19c. What policy did the Europeans pursue with respect
to the Manchu Empire?
- What rights did Europeans and other outsiders acquire as a result
of the Opium War? What further gains did Europeans make in China
from 1860 to 1898?
- How did Japan gain as a result of the war with China in 1894?
What kind of international crises followed?
- Why were the Russians concerned over the status of Manchuria?
- List the major concessions extracted from China in 1898 by the
Germans, the Russians, the French, and the British.
- What were the motives behind the Open Door Policy?
- What were the net consequences of imperialist expansion in China
by the end of the 19c?
- Why was Japan able to maintain its independence from European rule
while China had to make many concessions to the Western powers?
- List the causes of the Russo-Japanese War. Of what special
significance for later history was this war? In what sense did
it herald important developments of the 20c?