- What was the impact of the American Revolution on France and on
the rest of Europe?
- Create a CHART which shows the characteristics and distinctions
between the three different estates in France. In what ways were
all social classes affected by the social and economic tensions of the
- Identify the long-range cause of the French Revolution.
- What role did the Parlement of Paris play in neutralizing
- How did Louis XVI attempt to deal with the growing crises in
France by 1789?
- Why was the Estates-General reconvened after a century and a half?
- Create another CHART that illustrates the makeup of the three
estates in the Estates-General.
- What was Abbé Sieyès's view
of the third estate? [answer ques. 5 and 6 in the doc. book]
Why did the third estate clash with the other
- Explain the actions taken in creating the National Assembly.
- What was the significance of the fall of the Bastille? Why
did it help save the National Assembly and the Revolution?
- Trace and account for the increasing intervention of the peasants
and other commoners in the summer and early fall of 1789.
- What was the Great Fear? What was its impact on the National
- List the major political and philosophical principles espoused in
the Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen.
[refer to the doc. on pg. 686 of your textbk.]
- What were the policies of the National Assembly toward the
Catholic Church? How did these policies revolutionize
church-state relationships throughout France and the rest of Western
- What type of government was established by the Constitution of
1791? Which groups were dissatisfied? Why?
- How did Olympe de Gouge's reworking of the Declaration of the
Rights of Man and the Citizen transform its meaning? How did
male revolutionaries respond to her Declaration of the Rights of
Woman and the Female Citizen? [refer to the doc. on pg. 687
in your textbk.]
- How did the National Assembly restructure France administratively?
- What was the reaction of the various European governments to the
revolutionary events in France?
- How did the Declaration of Pillnitz affect developments in France?
Why did various groups in France favor war?
- Why were peasants and urban workers dissatisfied with the course
of events by late 1791-early 1792?
- Who were the Jacobins? the sans-culotte? Why
did the latter support the former?
- Why might the insurrection of August, 1792 be called the "Second"
- What caused the French Revolution to enter a second, more radical
- Who were the Girondins and the Montagnards [Mountain]? What
were their political points of view? Who were their major
- What groups represented the counter-revolutionary forces in
1792-1794? What characterized the regions in which
counter-revolutionary movements emerged?
- Why did the Reign of Terror occur?
- Which social classes in revolutionary France were most affected by
the Terror? least affected? Why?
- Based on the information in the charts, support the argument that
the Reign of Terror was NOT random or purposeless.
- What type of government did Robespierre try to create in
1792-1794? Identify some of the specific changes and programs
introduced [answer ques. 2-4 on pg. 111 of your doc. reader].
- Why did the de-Christianization measures fail?
- Why can it be said that those who start a revolution are often
consumed by its flames? How does this quote especially apply
- What was the Thermidorean Reaction?
- Identify the weaknesses of the Directory. In what areas was
it somewhat successful?
- Why were the poor worse off under the Directory than before the
- Why did Edmund Burke oppose the French Revolution? [refer to
your doc. book, pp. 115-116]. How did he represent the
conservative view of the Revolution?
- With the advantage of hindsight, what might the French monarchy
have done to retain control of France, minimize revolutionary changes,
and keep their throne [and their heads]?
- In what ways did the French revolution set precedents and provide
models for later revolutions in history?