CONDITIONS WHICH SEEM TO BE PRESENT AS CAUSES
OF MAJOR REVOLUTIONS:
1. People from all social classes
2. People feel restless and
held down by unacceptable restrictions in
society, religion, the economy or
3. People are hopeful about
the future, but they are being forced to
accept less than they had hoped
4. People are beginning to think
of themselves as belonging to a social class,
and there is a growing
between social classes.
5. The social classes closest
to one another are the most hostile.
6. The scholars and thinkers
give up on the way their society operates.
7. The government does not respond
to the needs of its society.
8. The leaders of the government
and the ruling class begin to doubt themselves.
Some join with the
9. The government is unable
to get enough support from any group to save
10. The government cannot organize
its finances correctly and is either going
bankrupt or trying to tax
THE COURSE THAT REVOLUTIONS SEEM TO TAKE:
1. Impossible demands made of
government which, if granted, would mean
2. Unsuccessful government attempts
to suppress revolutionaries.
3. Revolutionaries gain power
and seem united.
4. Once in power, revolutionaries
begin to quarrel among themselves, and unity
begins to dissolve.
5. The moderates gain the leadership
but fail to satisfy those who insist on further
6. Power is gained by progressively
more radical groups until finally a lunatic
fringe gains almost
7. A strong man emerges and
assumes great power.
8. The extremists try to create
a "heaven on earth" by introducing
their whole program and by
all their opponents.
9. A period of terror occurs.
10. Moderate groups regain power.
The revolution is over.
RESULTS --> Examine the results of the revolution
with these questions in mind:
1. Did the ideals of the revolution
change as its leadership changed?
2. Were the original goals of the
revolution achieved? At what point?
3. Which social classes gained most
from the revolution? Which lost?
Did the original
ruling group or
individuals from this group return to power?
4. How was the old political, social,
and economic order of society [Ancien Regime] changed
as a result of the